Mrs. Wall

This blog is to help teachers (and parents) share and exchange classroom ideas and activities. I love sharing ideas with others, so please let me know if you have any good ideas you would like to tell me about.

Coming Soon!

COMING SOON!
I'm working on a couple of new posts at the moment. One is for a reading work station, and the other is for a writing work station.

Friday, November 4, 2011

Writing Prompts

What Is It?
For a free and effective writing station, all you'll need is a few old magazines.  Simply flip through old magazines that have interesting pictures in them, such as National Geographic, cut out the pictures, and post and laminate them on construction paper.  I type up a short starter prompt with a couple of ideas in case the students need a little nudge to get started and place it on the back of each picture after pasting it to the construction paper.

The students may either choose their own picture to write about, or you could assign them their pictures.  I have my third grade students write at least one notebook page for each picture, and they must follow a simple graphic organizer or rubric for writing to ensure they include all the elements of a solid story.

What Do YOU Think?
I have placed all of my pictures in a box labeled "What Do YOU Think?".  Many of the pictures are very unusual and difficult to tell exactly what is going on in them without the articles they were with in the magazines.  This gives the students a chance to really use their imagination to come up with what THEY think is going on in the photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment