Mrs. Wall

This blog is to help teachers (and parents) share and exchange classroom ideas and activities. I love sharing ideas with others, so please let me know if you have any good ideas you would like to tell me about.

Coming Soon!

COMING SOON!
I'm working on a couple of new posts at the moment. One is for a reading work station, and the other is for a writing work station.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Coupon Countdown

Want a free math work station? This is a good way to get your students to practice their money skills individually or in a small group.  Depending on the group, I may or may not have a parent volunteer help with this activity, but most of the time I have the students do it on their own.

What is it?
As a station, the students use coupons and count out money with bills and coins from math manipulative kits.  This station can be leveled easily by doing the following:
  • Students use one coupon, count the change, then have a partner check it
  • Students combine coupons, count the money, then have a partner check it
  • Students use a coupon and count up to a dollar using a hundreds chart to recieve change back
  • Students combine coupons and count up to $5.00 to receive change back, then use a calculator to check their work
Materials Needed:
  • coupons from the free newpaper
  • contruction paper
  • glue stick
  • scissors
  • laminater
  • money from manipulative kits
  • two ziplock bags (gallon-size)
Some Assembly Required
To put these together, simply cut out the free grocery coupons, glue them to construction paper, cut them out, and laminate them.  I keep my coupons in one ziplock back and my bills and coins in another ziplock bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment