Mrs. Wall

This blog is to help teachers (and parents) share and exchange classroom ideas and activities. I love sharing ideas with others, so please let me know if you have any good ideas you would like to tell me about.

Coming Soon!

COMING SOON!
I'm working on a couple of new posts at the moment. One is for a reading work station, and the other is for a writing work station.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Guess My Food

Descriptive Writing Activity
For a cute hallway piece, this descriptive writing activity can be fun for everyone.  The object is to give the students a picture of food and they must describe it in a way that someone could read their paper and know exactly which food they wrote about.





What You'll Need
  • laminated food pictures (I use my food magazines)
  • long construction paper
  • writing paper


Directions
  •  Give each student a different food picture to write about
  •  Have the students write a descriptive paper about their food, using color, shape, size, texture, taste, smell, etc.
  • Take a long piece of contruction paper and 'hamburger fold' it.
  • Paste the description piece of the outside of the folded construction paper and the food picture on the inside, so you can't see the picture unless you lift up the flap.
The object is to get people who walk down the hallway to try and guess the food from the descriptive writing before they lift the flap to see the food picture.  I call it "What's Cooking?"

No comments:

Post a Comment