Mrs. Wall

This blog is to help teachers (and parents) share and exchange classroom ideas and activities. I love sharing ideas with others, so please let me know if you have any good ideas you would like to tell me about.

Coming Soon!

COMING SOON!
I'm working on a couple of new posts at the moment. One is for a reading work station, and the other is for a writing work station.

Friday, November 18, 2011

Cause and Effect

Cause and effect can be very tricky when being tested, so my fellow teachers and I are always trying to come up with new and/or better ways to teach the skill.

I came across an old LIFE compilation book with loads of old, funny photographs in it.  As I was flipping through, I started wondering what caused some of these peculiar situations.  And then....ding, ding, ding!  My teacher bell went off!

I copied several of the pictures from the book, numbered, mounted, and laminated them, then put them out as a rotation activity.  I paired up the students and had them rotate through each picture.  During each stop, the peer pair would have to decide (A) if the picture was a cause or an effect and (B) what the effect will be if it's a "cause" picture or what the cause probably was if it's an "effect" picture.
This activity lets the students practice with real world situation, as well as allows them to get up and move and discuss and analyze the picture and their answers with a peer.

No comments:

Post a Comment